Parent Engagement Policy
Sandy Elementary 2019-2020
Each year, the Parent Engagement Policy will be jointly developed by parents and staff through the SCC. The goal of revision will be to improve the academic quality.
The results from parent surveys, CAYCI surveys and parent feedback forums will be used to update the Parent Engagement Policy yearly.
Each year, Title 1 schools will develop a parent engagement plan. Activities in the plan will focus on improving student achievement and school performance. Sandy Elementary will encourage strong parental engagement.
Definition of Parent Engagement
Parental engagement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
- There will be two Title I meeting per year, offered at different times and in different languages. We will continue to offer Meet your Teacher before school begins and a traditional Back to School night after school begins. During the meeting:
- Benefits of being a Title I school will be stated. Information is also on our school web site.
- All parents have the right to know qualifications of their child’s teacher. Information can requested through the office.
- A letter will be sent to all classes whose teacher is not highly qualified by the state. This can be for various reasons. All non-highly qualified teachers are in the process of becoming highly qualified.
- Obtained a Bachelor’s degree;
- Demonstrated competency in the subject area assigned to teach;
- Obtained full State certification as a teacher or has passed the State teacher licensing examination; and
- Has not had certification or licensure requirements waived on an emergency, temporary, or provisional basis.
- Sandy Elementary has programs and supports available for students in transition and English Learners. They are available upon request.
- Sandy Elementary School will provide parents of participating children with a description and explanation of the curriculum in use at the school, the forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet through:
- the annual Title I Parent Meeting
- regular parent/teacher conferences
- Progress reports distributed 3 times per year
- Parents can request a meeting with the student’s teacher, the principal, and other staff as appropriate when needed
- Activities are scheduled for a safe and drug free school and community. Classroom lesson plans, NOVA for 5th grade, Say No to Drugs and Internet Safety Week are among activities planned.
- Information will be provided individually to parents on the following:
- RISE results as soon as they become available.
- UALPA results, if applicable will be distributed at the beginning of the year.
- School/Parent Compact-Distributed at a conference or a curriculum activity.
- Student progress reports including report cards, Acadience, RI, SEP’s, notes and flyers.
- Sandy Elementary will work with the district to review and revise school plans. All plans are available upon request.
- TSSP-Teacher and Student Success Plan
- SAM-Self-Assessment of MTSS Implementation
- ALS Alternative Language Plan
- SCC Digital and Safety Report
- Safe Walking Routes plan-on website
- Safety Plan-on website
- Attendance Plan-on website
- Cell Phone/Technology plan-on website
- School wide Title 1 Plan
- Parent Engagement plan